Substance Misuse

The Safer Stockport Partnership is committed to tackling the harm caused to individuals, families and communities due to the misuse of drugs and alcohol. To effectively work against these challenging issues requires co-ordinated action from all partners.

Alcohol and drug misuse often lead to criminal and antisocial behaviour, as well as serious harm to physical and mental health.  The SSP recognises that in order to effectively tackle drug and alcohol related problems in Stockport, that law enforcement activities must be partnered with helping people to stop using substances and stabilise their lives.

The SSP works with substance misusing offenders through various agencies, helping them to engage in treatment and support which addresses their addictive behaviour and supporting them in their recovery and in accessing opportunities in employment, education and training.

More information about Stockport’s Drug & Alcohol Strategy.

More information about Stockport Drug and Alcohol Services.


The START is a free and confidential service for anyone aged 26 or over who is not currently in treatment and who wants to access drug and/or alcohol treatment in Stockport. It is the first point of access into structured treatment services in Stockport.

The START will speak to people on a one-to-one basis to understand their needs and discuss the treatment options available. There are a number of different drug and alcohol services available in Stockport and one of the aims of the START is to make sure people are supported into the right service for them.

The START operates from various locations within Stockport, including the main council contact centre at Fred Perry House, Edward Street, Stockport, SK1 3UR.

You can ring or email the START to arrange an appointment at a time which is convenient for you.

Ring: 0161 474 3141

Email: your name and telephone number to and a member of the team will contact you.

If you are working on behalf of a client with a drug or alcohol problem and you have their consent, you can call the START for them or email the START with their name and number and a START worker will contact them.