Fire Safety First at Christmas
Fire safety is being promoted by the Safer Stockport Partnership (SSP) to help local residents to enjoy a problem-free festive season by protecting themselves and their property.
The following Top Tips from Greater Manchester Fire & Rescue Service will ensure you have a safe and happy Christmas.
- Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.
- Test the batteries in your smoke alarm every week. Never remove them.
- Most fires start in the kitchen. Avoid leaving a cooker unattended.
- Make sure your family and visitors know how to escape in an emergency.
- Make sure cigarettes are put out properly.
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or materials that can catch light easily.
- Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.
- Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach.
- Never leave burning candles unattended.
- Never overload electrical sockets.
- Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
- Store fireworks safely. Never go back to a lit firework and keep a bucket of water nearby.
- Take care around open fireplaces as clothes may catch fire.
- Take time to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas as they are at greater risk from fire.