Greater Manchester’s Police and Crime Commissioner is calling on communities to stand together and bring an end to domestic abuse.

One in four women will become a victim of domestic abuse in their lifetime and two women die each week at the hands of a partner or ex-partner.

In Stockport, Greater Manchester Police dealt with 4,913 cases of domestic abuse in the 12 months to September – an increase of 124 compared with the previous year. While an increase in incidents suggests that more people are coming forward to report domestic abuse, there are still many cases that go unreported.

Tony Lloyd, Police and Crime Commissioner for Greater Manchester,  said: “These figures should shock us all into making a stand against domestic violence if we are serious about ridding society of this crime which has untold, long lasting effects on victims and their children.  Behind the statistics are vulnerable women and men who have suffered at the hands of someone who is supposed to love and care for them and this has to stop.

“There is no place for this cruelty and brutality in our communities and is why I’m calling on the people of Stockport to join me in taking a zero tolerance stand against this scourge on our society and challenge those who believe domestic violence should be tolerable and tolerated. While the increase in reporting suggests that more people have the confidence to come forward, there are still too many victims suffering in silence.

”We all have a responsibility as decent human beings – whether a friend, relative, teacher, neighbour, doctor – to speak out for victims and stand up against the perpetrators.”

Councillor Mark Weldon, the Deputy Leader of Stockport Council and Executive Member for Corporate, Customer and Community services, said: “The Council is committed to working with partner agencies to tackle the very serious issue of domestic abuse.  We operate a zero tolerance policy towards domestic abuse against women and men in Stockport. I would urge people not to suffer in silence but to ensure they report any instances of domestic violence.”

Mohammed Farooq, Assistant Chief Executive (Stockport LDU and the Courts),  Greater Manchester Probation Trust, said: “’The Greater Manchester Probation Trust (Stockport) is fully committed through its offender management and local partnership work to help eliminate domestic abuse to protect victims and our communities.

”I chair the Strategic Domestic Abuse Forum in Stockport where we’re conducting a comprehensive review of our strategy so that we have the right level of focus from all our partners to tackle the key issues. We want to make sure that at a time of great change with reduced resources, domestic abuse continues to receive sufficient funding and appropriate attention. I’m confident we’ll be more successful with the passage of time.”

Throughout November, Tony will be encouraging people to report domestic abuse and raise awareness of the services and support available to victims. He is also encouraging councillors, MPs, partner agencies and Stockport residents to sign a promise to work together to stop domestic abuse.

Tony will be visiting refuges, support groups and organisations to see some of the work that is going on to support victims of domestic abuse. Greater Manchester Police, victim support services, the Crown Prosecution service and other agencies  will also be giving evidence on how they are tackling the issue are a series of hearings, including one taking place in Stockport, throughout the month.

If you, or someone you know, has suffered domestic violence, help is available. Visit the End the Fear website for more information or call Greater Manchester’s domestic violence helpline on 0161 636 7525.

If there is an immediate risk of harm to someone, or it is an emergency, dial 999.

The Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme, or Clare’s Law, can be used by anyone concerned over a partner’s abusive behaviour or those concerned about a friend or family member in a relationship and at risk of violence by their partner.

For further information or to make a request for information under it, contact on 101 or visit a police station.